Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving! Since I have another hour of wait at Logan Airport and not so much to do, I thought this would be perfect time to update my blog while watching Gilmore Girls.

Yesterday, we had a birthday pie + ice cream in the lab for Mirco and myself. Mirco is one of the post docs whose birthday is today. Apple pie and vanilla ice cream! Delicious :) Several traditions for these lab birthday gatherings were enforced, as usual:
  • The birthday person has to do all the work: I sliced and distributed the pie for the 13 of us (harder than it sounds with all the apples falling out) and Mirco scooped the ice cream. And we also cleaned everything up afterwards. Haha, yay, birthday work!
  • The most senior German in the lab counts down to the birthday song so everyone starts singing at the same time... in German (the countdown, not the song; the latter would be incredibly difficult): usually it's Tom (of course, he's German; hence this tradition :D)  But yesterday it was Daniel, one of the German post docs. And the lab sang the most pathetic birthday song up to date. I think it keeps getting worse very time; there were at least 10 different keys. Hahaha it was so bad that everyone started laughing in the middle of the song and commented on the group's lack of musicality. That's okay. As long as they excel in science.
  • We have a discussion about how we're all getting old. Mirco is turning 30, and most of the post docs were like: oh, sigh... turning 31 was the hardest, so don't worry yet; when you're 30, you're still on the "borderline," juuuuust getting out of the 20s, but when you're 31 years old, you're clearly in the new 31-40 age range. Hahaha so then a couple of visiting professors in their 40s were like: anyone else wanna complain about turning 40?? Man, 30s is so young! And a post doc was like "well, when you hit 40s, you're so old that you have alzheimers and don't even remember to worry about such things!" 
Tom walked in when we were almost done wih the pie/ice-cream (he literally flew back in to Boson like an hour before; the typical Tom move), and everyone insisted he sings the birthday song alone since he was late. Hahaha, he actually did sing part of the song: "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you... hahaha um, ok."

---------------

A while back, I lost the combination to my lock on the basement storage unit. A few days ago, I kinda realized that I needed the suitcase that's in there. Yesterday, I spent about an hour cracking the combo to my lock after learning how to do it from google :) And I got it!!!!!!! It was a little concerning how easy it was once you understood the instructions and had some time/patience. If done correctly, you have to just go through 80-100 combination possibilities before finding the correct one. Thank goodness there's nothing but empty boxes and my my suitcase that I have to store down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment