Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sup, SP?

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Sup, LL!

-------

Went to the dorky scrabble club meeting. Won all three games :D The first one, I lucked out and played 2 bingo's in a row. The second game, I played the word "JIVE" for 60+ points... and then here's the real hit of the day: on the third game, I played a 113 point bingo with the word "STARTLES", with both S's landing on 3W (i.e. making it a 9W word... plus the +50 points from the bingo). Heh, this was exciting :) Yes -- 113 points in one turn :D I think it's my personal record.

--------

Eh, not so fond of orchestra these days. The Suk sounds not-so-awesome, and I keep feeling weirder about some of the conductor's borderline inappropriate comments. There are great performers in the group, but the conductor's a bit off. I think whether I return for the rest of the season in February/March is a mystery (after this concert, we have a big winter hiatus until next year).

But! Today we practiced with Bobby Chen, our cello soloist on the Dvorak, and wow... wow :) Apparently he won the NSO Concerto Competition when he was in middle school, and then again in his freshman year in the high school division. Then at age 17 now, he won some other competition (I forget what it's called) that got him to play the Dvorak with us. And apparently he's playing at another concerto competition next Saturday. This kid is insane. And he sounded really, very, very good. His octave double stops at the end of movement 1 -- perfect. I was mesmerized for the whole hour and a half of rehearsal... Not only because he was great technically, but his musicality was pretty powerful. Aaaaaand... I love the cello. The end.

1 comment:

  1. haha im glad to see that all those hours of playing each other on facebook scrabble has paid off. i wish there were a scrabble club here in charlottesville!

    ReplyDelete