Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some of my more recent Youtube obsessions:
  • Bach Cello Suites -- I've been listening to these on loop all week on my ipod. Each suite has such a distinct character! But all beautiful...
    • Suite 1, Sarabande (Mischa Maisky): Such a gorgeous sound... A bit on the heavy side of interpretation, but I love it!
    • Suite 2, Sarabande (Micha Maisky): Haha, what a depressing movement... almost too dampening, but it's so beautiful. There's something so melancholy about the double stop 5ths. I also love how it looks on the cello, haha...
    • Suite 3, Prelude (Mischa Maisky): I'm loving all these Mischa Maisky videos for the Bach Suites on YT... more so than Yo-Yo Ma or Rostropovich! Such smooth yet powerful (and romantic) interpretation! Anyway, this movement is currently at the top of my chart. So many unexpected harmonic progressions and funky moments! Aww I love it! :)
    • Suite 3, Gigue (Janos Starker): What a sharp and crisp performance. And what a movement! Looove the part from 0:27-ish and on! Oh Bach... <3.
      • What's so incredible about Suite 3 is that all of the openings sound so plain, scale-like, and etude-like. And all in C major, I mean, really :) But soon enough, it progresses into something so complex and intense! Not plain at all...
    • Suite 4, Prelude (Mischa Maisky): Bach to Mischa... what can I say, I guess I like my Bach heavy. But this thought-provoking prelude, whose "rhythm" is almost entirely in just 8th notes, captures so much with its harmonic progression. Amazing how Bach does that... (and I just noticed, holy crap, Mischa's endpin is soooo long...)
    •  Suite 6, Prelude (Mstislav Rostropovich): Besides the minute-long introduction, I think Rostropovich's is my favorite rendition of this movement! It's very dymanic and I think he captures the essence of this movement :) 
The Bach Suites are so incredible... Not to mention all the other amazing movements I didn't list above. But moving on!
  • Bach, Arioso from Cantata No. 156 arranged for the cello (Julian Lloyd Webber): Yes, Andrew Lloyd Webber's little brother! Again, a heavily romanticized performance of a Bach piece, but who cares! Also, it's very reminescent of cheesy wedding music, but I still like it :) :) I can play this now too!! The whole package, with vibrato and all :)
  • Saint-Saens, Allegro Appassionato (Jacqueline du Pre): You all knew that Jackie had to show up on my list at some point. Honestly, I've never heard of this piece until I started working on it. Apparently it's a really popular encore piece for cellists! I wouldn't call this my all-time-favorite piece any time soon, but it's a cool piece nonetheless. Very fiery!
  • Mark Summer, Julie-O (Martin Nocedal; Char Prescott): Now a change of pace... Julie-O! I fell in love with the original version written for a solo cello, but I'm starting to love this duet rendition more. Haha, when I first heard this a couple of years ago, there was another surge of "I want to learn the cello!" It's suuuch a fun piece! I heard the violin rendition too, but it's just not the same.
  • Kodaly, Sonata for Solo Cello Movement 3 (Alisa Weilerstein): I'm not big on ridiculously dissonant modern compositions, but... woah. Haha, first of all, what an insane piece. Secondly, what a crazy performance of it. I loveeeeee it! So much passion and fire!
  • Haydn, Cello Concerto in C Major, Movement 1 (Han Na Chang): I find Han Na's interpretations pretty radical -- very different from the standard interpretations, and usually I don't like them very much because they get sooo temperamental. But for this piece -- I do like it! What an enthralling performance!
  • Haydn, Cello Concerto in C Major, Movement 3 (Han Na Chang): So playful! Looking very nonchalant with this beast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment